Inspiration

The future depends on what we do in the present. - Mahatma Gandhi

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Voicethread

As part of my assigment this week, I was required to create a voicethread based on a need, problem or situation that I am faced with as a teacher.  My voice thread is about the problem of inappropriate and excessive use of cell phone and ipod use during class time.  I am also asking anyone to help in coming up with a way to involve students in the solution of how to cut down or eliminate this problem altogether.
click the link to view and listen to my voicethread....
http://voicethread.com/share/1032469/

1 comment:

  1. Hey Marcella,
    Students and cell phone are like peanut butter and jelly. I am a second grade teacher; however I work with the high school kids as a strength conditioning coach. If your school outlaws cell phones, a neat experiment is to leave your classroom and watch the students leaving school. They pull out more electronics and cell phones then imaginable at the end of day. It seems as if every pocket is filled with some type of device.
    Why do we have to outlaw them? Why not have the students be able to use them. I went to a conference not too long back. The keynote speaker (I wish I could remember who it was) said, fifty years ago students would come to school to get connected to the rest of the world. Today, they come to school and it is the opposite.
    That was pretty profound. Then I thought why outlaw all the gizmos and gadgets? I understand the whole cheating part. During some parts of the tests students should not be allowed to use it. But why not have them use their things in research methods? This week’s resources really proclaimed communication and collaborative learning. The stake of education is changing. Why do we need to spend hours memorizing facts when you could simply ask Jeeves?

    -Nick Renninger

    ReplyDelete